Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A pedestrian story/ A história de uma pedestre

Sometimes it is difficult to think about a problem when you are involved in the daily running.

It was Friday morning and as usual, I was in a hurry to get the bus to school. I always thought that despite not liking to wear a blue and ugly uniform such as mine it could be useful when you have to be noticed by other people; for example when you are late to school and you are stuck in the traffic.

Probably you are thinking I am a driver who has a car, right? No, you are wrong!

That day everything seemed to be the same; a little bit late to school, but nothing that could cause serious problems. I left home by 7:00 a.m after finishing my breakfast, and saw a friendly, old woman, driving a beige, 1966 Fusca. The traffic was not as bad as it used to be and at the beginning I could manage to cross the street when the traffic lights turned red. As a pedestrian things tend to be easier for me if it wasn’t the fact that I had an important commitment that day. Every minute was precious considering that I had study the whole year for that test.

Things got worst when the traffic lights broken. The fact that I had left home 30 minutes before I was used to, wasn’t enough for me to arrive at school in time for undertaking the test. It is incredible how people, in a city as São Paulo, don’t respect the zebra crossing. I was exhausted, it was possible to see the worry in my face and even wearing my blue, ugly uniform, people didn’t stopped where they were supposed to. It was just when I saw a motorcycle crossing the street and colliding with another car that I could manage to cross the avenue to get my way to school.

It is sad that an accident, instead of causing a bad feeling on me, brought a relief to my soul. I had been studying the whole year for a test that would lead me to the university and I wasn’t sure if I would be on time for it. That moment I saw a bicycle with an interesting message at its back: “One car less”. The man who was riding the bicycle was dressed in an unusual way (despite being a common person), and seemed to be going to work because of his clothes; he was wearing a black suit. Maybe this could be a possible solution to the traffic jam; but I believe that with a minimum respect to the traffic’s rules, São Paulo would be a bearable place to live.

After this day I have been thinking; what could I do to improve the traffic’s quality in my city?

Text by Bruna Elias
Photos by Patrícia Narvaes
Video by João Batista Neto




Algumas vezes é difícil pensar em um problema quando estamos envolvidos na correria do dia a dia.

Era uma sexta-feira de manhã e como sempre eu estava com pressa para pegar o ônibus até a escola. Sempre pensei que apesar de não gostar de usar um uniforme azul e feio como o meu, ele poderia ser útil no caso de você precisar ser notada por alguém; por exemplo, quando você está atrasada para escola e está presa no trânsito.

Provavelmente você deve estar pensando que eu sou uma motorista e que tenho um carro, certo? Não, você está enganado!

Naquele dia tudo parecia normal; um pouco atrasada para a escola, mas nada que pudesse causar sérios problemas. Saí de casa às 7:00 da manhã, depois que terminei meu café, e vi uma simpática velhinha, dirigindo um Fusca bege, ano 1966. O trânsito não estava tão ruim como costumava ser e no começo eu conseguia atravessar a rua quando o farol estava no vermelho. Como pedestre as coisas tendem a ser mais fáceis para mim, se não fosse o fato de que naquele dia eu tinha um compromisso importante. Cada segundo era precioso, pois eu havia estudado o ano todo para aquela prova.

As coisas pioraram quando o farol quebrou. O fato de que eu havia saído de casa 30 minutos antes do usual, não foi o suficiente para que eu chegasse à escola a tempo de realizar a prova. É incrível como as pessoas em uma cidade como São Paulo não respeitam a faixa de pedestres. Eu estava exausta, era possível perceber a preocupação em meu rosto e, mesmo usando meu uniforme azul e feio, as pessoas não paravam onde elas deveriam. Foi quando eu vi um acidente entre uma moto que cruzava a rua e um carro, que eu pude atravessar a avenida e continuar meu caminho para escola.

É triste ver que um acidente ao invés de provocar tristeza trouxe alívio diante de minha situação. Eu tinha estudado o ano todo para uma prova que me colocaria na universidade e eu não sabia se conseguiria chegar a tempo para isso. Naquele momento eu avistei uma bicicleta com uma mensagem interessante: “ Um carro a menos”. O homem que estava dirigindo a bicicleta estava vestido de uma forma anormal (apesar de ser uma pessoa comum), e parecia estar indo para o trabalho devido ao fato de estar vestindo um terno. Talvez essa seja uma solução para o problema do congestionamento no trânsito; mas eu acredito que com o mínimo de respeito às regras de trânsito, São Paulo seria um lugar melhor para se viver.

Depois deste dia eu tenho pensado; o que eu poderia fazer para melhorar a qualidade do trânsito em minha cidade?

Texto de Bruna Elias
Fotos de Patrícia Narvaes
Filme de João Batista Neto


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a car, but I drive sometimes. Whenever I have to drive, my stress leves raises incredibably and feel so stressed out that my hands shake and I start to sweat. In my opinion, driving in SP is an act of violence. You have to be violent in order to cope with violence! It is awful!

lynn mario said...

For me driving in SP is an act of courage and survival, in the sense that very often, for lack of adequate public transport, one HAS to drive.
I learned a long time ago, that if one drives "defensively" and safely, one is more likely to cause an accident, because one will be behaving unusually and unexpectedly (from the perspective of the other drivers). So... I quikly learned that in order to survive one has to drive like everyone else - dangerously! This is only true in the central parts of the city and on the main avenues, I think. In the residential areas, people seem to drive with more care and respect.. or am I mistaken?!!